Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cool Beans

I've been on a huge bean binge lately. I just can not get enough of them. I discovered how to make my own re-fried beans super yummy. I learned that when you cook the beans to add chicken bouillon! So easy and it makes such a difference in flavor. In fact, Abby and Rex gobble them up every time I make them, so I can't complain about that. Here's what I do. I throw a 1/2lb of beans in the crock pot with a bunch of water. I have been using pinto beans, but black beans are good too. I'll add about half a bulb of minced garlic, some pepper, and about 5 teaspoons of chicken bouillon. I get this done in the late morning and by dinner, the beans are ready. My other secret to great beans is to re-fry them in cast iron. I use a dutch oven, but a skillet could work just as well. I put just a small spoonful of lard in, because I like the fat in it, but you don't really need it. I let the bean water reduce and I mash the beans up. I like my beans nice and runny so it doesn't take very long, but if you like thicker beans it might take a little longer. I've been making these every week. I love dipping tortilla chips into them. I don't think I can ever go back to the canned re-fried beans from the store ever again! I tried once and was a little grossed out by them. Beans really are the magical fruit!

2 comments:

  1. Do you get gassy when you're pregnant? Because if you're eating all those beans, and I can't imagine your house smelling good at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you! I do mine differently but anytime I hear of someone switching over to making their own instead of opening a can the Mexican in my says ARRRRRIBA! Okay not really.... (I have only purchased/ate beans from a can about 3 times in my life)

    ReplyDelete