Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Beautiful Oak Glen

Last Saturday we took the family to Oak Glen. It is apple-picking season, but we decided against picking our own apples because it cost $10 for a tiny bag. I have a hard time paying that much when I'm doing the labor. If anything, they should be cheaper than at the grocery store, but, I digress. We ended up walking the trails up there. It was so nice to be outside and walking around, especially with how beautiful it was up there. My favorite part of the trip was when a friend we were with was really hungry and started foraging for food. He managed to work his way past the thorns to get some wild blackberries that were growing along the trail. You would have had to be there to truly appreciate the humor.

You would think this would have been a great day, just based on this, but no...it gets better! On our way home Craig starts driving to his parents house instead of home. I suspected something might be going on because Craig insisted that we be home by 1pm for no reason other than he didn't want to spend all day in Oak Glen. He arranged for his parents to watch our kids OVERNIGHT! I don't think I have had a night like that ever since the kids were born. He and his friend (yes, the same one who was foraging) had planned a secret outing for us girls. They took us in the car and wouldn't tell us where we were going. We ended up all the way in Santa Monica and got to hang out on the pier for a while. We rode the ferris wheel and Craig unsuccessfully tried to climb a rope ladder to win a big prize. The plan was to watch the sunset, but unfortunately it was cloudy. But an A+ to Craig for this wonderful surprise. We did get to eat at Bubba Gumps Shrimp something or other and that was good too. You know you'll get good seafood at a place that's right on the ocean.

Unfortunately we didn't get any pictures of Santa Monica. If I would have had the camera, I would have posted the map to the "Homes of the Stars and Crime Scenes" and the giant noodle sculpture. I doubt I would have been able to post them anyway, since we got an awesome new camera that takes super high quality pictures and I haven't learned how to shrink the size yet. But again, I digress. It was an awesome day and a wonderful night not having to get kids to bed or getting woken up in the middle of the night for motherly duties. I think every parent should have a day like that once in a while.

2 comments:

  1. What a great break for the two of you! Thanks Didi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it was a pretty awesome day! Our husbands are the best! :D

    ReplyDelete