Wednesday, March 31, 2010

...in one piece...

We finally made it home after a whirlwind week in Utah. Our trip home was quite eventful. We made our way to the airport with the help of my dad, carrying all of our crap. We check in , go through security, blah, blah, blah. The real excitement was about 30 min before we were supposed to leave, we hear an announcement that, because of strong winds, our plane was unable to land and went to Denver to get some fuel. That meant that we had to wait in the airport for 3 hours until it could get back. So we go get something to eat at the airport. There was a little Mexican place right there, so we fork out $11 for a quesedilla and burrito and then go to the kids area so we can eat it while we watch cartoons. After we eat, Abby decides that she needs to poop in her diaper so we all head to the bathroom with out millions of carry-on items. I have to put Rex and Abby on the changing table together and somehow manage to change them both without them falling off. (Although Rex managed to break off a piece of it.) After I went (which was a struggle in itself) we head back to the kids area. Abby decides to use Rex's blanket as a table cloth and starts setting it with their sippy cups and let me know that "dinner was ready." She then decided to do some somersaults and push-ups to get the blood flowing. Finally, after 3 hours of wasting time, we get to line up to board. There was another girl with 2 young kids by herself, so I stood next to her. Abby and her little boy became fast friends. On the plane, we sat behind them and Abby would yell out: "Little Boy! Look at me!" And then they would talk about the clouds that they saw out the window and what their favorite sucker color was. I was practically hearing wedding bells. We get to Phoenix and most of the people get off and a few get on. Luckily, the flight to San Diego was practically empty, so we could spread out. Amazingly enough, neither kid fell asleep during the whole flight. We did enjoy a humorous explanation of how to use all the safety equipment. That always makes the flight better.

I was a little worried about how I was going to get all of my crap back to my car once I got off the plane. Here's what I had to carry: Rex, 2 car seats, 2 carry-on bags, and my huge suitcase. Luckily, when I got off, a nice couple offered to help me carry everything. As it turns out, they were parked in the same long-term parking as me, so they helped me get to the shuttle and the shuttle driver drove me right to my car and even put my suitcase in the trunk for me. I think Heavenly Father knew I would have my hands full, so he sent those people to help me. Both Abby and Rex fell asleep before I even left the parking lot and I tried not to fall asleep driving home. I ended up getting home just a little before midnight. All in all, a fun trip and I'm glad I made it home in one piece.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you guys made it home. We were worried it would be awful. I'm especially glad people helped you....and that you didn't fall asleep on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back safe! I can't believe you travelled on a plane with two little ones. I would never be that brave. Good to hear it worked out well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also glad you made it home safely! It was great having you here!

    ReplyDelete