Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Amish quest

For the past couple of years, I have found myself becoming more and more Amish. It started when I decided to make my own jam. I would get these delicious strawberries from a stand and make it into the best strawberry jam ever. So much better than store bought. Then Craig bought a 10 lb box of peaches from a farmer in Beaumont and there was no way we would be able to eat those before they went bad, so I canned them. They, also, were way better than the store bought canned peaches. Then, people with apricot trees and pear trees let me pick a ton of fruit from their trees to take home and I canned those also. Way better then store bought. Well, maybe not the pears. I still need to perfect my canning methods for those. All this got me wanting to have everything fresh right in my own back yard. I bought an apricot, peach, and avocado tree and was given a pomegranate tree. All are still small and not really producing yet, but they will. I'm dying for a new house where I can plant all the things I want and can hopefully get the majority of my produce from my own home.

All of this slowly turned into me not wanting to have any processed food in the house. I started making everything from scratch, including bread, so we could have fresh, home cooked meals. Don't worry, I haven't gone completely overboard, yet. I still buy goldfish and granola bars and all the kid snack stuff, but slowly, I am weeding out all the junk that you can buy in stores. Someday, I hope to make my own cheese. I'm thinking this is the best kind of food storage you can get because it is self sustaining. You don't have to rely on someone else for your food. So there you have it. I am slowly turning Amish. Well, except for the internet. I think it would take a lot for me to become unplugged.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Do you ever share your bounty? ;) I love the idea of no processed foods in the house. We don't have much room for a garden, but I think I can find room for a tomato plant. It's a start, right?

    ReplyDelete