Thursday, June 3, 2010

Beefcake


I told Abby the other day that I was going to make a chocolate beet cake. When I made it today, she asked if I was making beefcake.

If you are ever trying to sneak in vegetables to your kids, this is a good way. I have a recipe for chocolate beet cake that Craig got from one of his cooking classes in college. It uses 1 1/2 cups of beets! I made it today and was pleasantly surprised how non-beet it tasted, although it was a little earthy. It looks really rich, but doesn't taste too chocolaty. I had to add a generous amount of chocolate frosting for it to meet my chocolate needs. If you are feeling adventurous, try this out:

1 1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 1/2 c cooked and grated beets
1/2 c water
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 3/4 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350, grease 9x13 pan. Combine sugar, egg, vanilla, and oil. Beat well in a mixer. Add beets and cocoa powder. Beat again. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together, add to the batter along with water. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake 35 min. (makes 8 to 10 servings)

No comments:

Post a Comment