Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My take on Twilight

I finally broke down and read Twilight. I did it because A. I had some spare time and didn't want to watch tv and B. I wanted to know why everyone is so obsessed with the series. Here's what I came away with:

The book in itself isn't necessarily a bad book. I enjoyed reading it for the most part. It wasn't a huge page turner for me, not like the DaVinci Code was, anyway. But it was a nice easy read. Here's my beef with people's reaction to the book. I didn't find Bella or Edward particularly endearing. They both seemed super-moody and overly dramatic. I have a low tolerance for this kind of thing. I didn't like how, in practically the entire book they kept saying: "I don't want you to get hurt." "No, I don't want YOU to get hurt." "I love you." "I love you more." Blah. Too cheesy for my taste.

I think the thing that was most off-putting was at the end of the book, it had a preview of the next book, which I, of course, read. I didn't like how the whole section was just back and forth about how Bella wanted to be a vampire and Edward wouldn't let her. And the worst part, was the teaser - when Bella gets a paper cut at the Cullens and they all go crazy trying to get her. I couldn't help but roll my eyes. It seemed a little too predictable. It probably doesn't help that I am not a big fan of fantasy novels or that I had just read a really good love story right before reading this. ("Evenings at the Argentine Club" by Julia Amante)

The last thing that I didn't like about Twilight was Bella's and Edwards so called "love." It didn't come across as real to me. It seemed like puppy love more than "eternal love." Maybe because I'm 30 now I just don't get it. I'm just too dang old to be reading stories about kids in high school. Having said that, I think I will eventually read the other two books, as my sister said they're better than the first one, I just am not sure how quickly I will be getting to that. And that, my friends, is why I don't see what all the fuss is about.

7 comments:

  1. I just want to say I love you. ;) There seem to be so few people in the world right now who will come right out and say that Twilight is lame. I read them all (because my book club was reading them - and when I make fun of something I like to know what I'm talking about). I thought the first one was merely ok, but had very much the same reaction as you did. Sadly, the first book was actually my favorite. By the end, I just wanted all the vampires and werewolves to kill each other so we could all live happily ever after. :)

    Now I want to look up that Julia Amante book - you've made me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so I'm really frustrated. This is doing weird stuff. I'm guessing when I post this, it'll show the comment I want you to see. Check out the link. It's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope I was wrong. Grrrr..... Fine, time for another comment. I just want you to watch a funny video, but this thing is being so stupid. Go here. http://www.howitshouldhaveended.com/videos?bcpid=51434042001&bclid=41247345001&bctid=51411100001

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get what you're saying! I think you should read Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins I think you would enjoy it much much more!

    ReplyDelete